Contact Us

Military marriages differ from civilian marriages in many aspects. Military spouses often spend months or even years apart. A question as simple as “Where do I file my divorce case” can be far more complicated in a military case, where a spouse may be away on active duty in another state or country.

What if you are deployed, and your spouse files for divorce in California? You need an attorney on your side who is familiar with the Service members Civil Relief Act (SCRA), a federal law that protects military members on active duty. If you are the non-military spouse, you need an attorney who knows how the federal statutes effect your dissolution.

Differences Between Military Versus Civilian Divorce

Other differences between a military versus a civilian divorce include: the effective dates of child and spousal support, the division of military benefits, service members basic allowances and the tax consequences thereof. Move-away custody cases are also common when handling a military divorce.

To ensure that you follow state and federal laws while protecting your rights as an active duty military member or a military spouse, you need a family law attorney experienced in military dissolution.

Contact A Military Divorce Lawyer At Garwood Attorneys Today!

At Garwood Reeves, we have experienced family law attorneys who have represented parties on both sides of the military divorce. Retaining an experienced Garwood Attorney can make this complex process much simpler for both parties and their families. Call Garwood Reeves today and see how we can help you.